The City of Flint made her last trip out of Ludington at 2:30 a.m. on December 24, 1969, pulled by 2 tugs. She was built in 1929 in Manitowoc, WI by the Manitowoc Ship Building Corporation at a cost of $1,250,00 and had 40 staterooms and 5 parlors. She was powered by two steam turbines driving two General Electric 2,300 volt, 118 r.p.m. motors for a totat h.p. of 7,200. She was sold to Norfolk and Western Railway Company to be converted into a river ferry barge and renamed Roanoke.
The First Captain of the City of Flint
On her first trip to Ludington from Manitowoc on April 9, 1930, she set a new speed record of 3 hours and 7 minutes. In command was Captain Esten Bahle, the senior master of the Pere Marquette fleet at that time.
Captain Bahle's steamboat experience began in 1900, and was a wheelsman and lookout on the car ferry Milwaukee, which sank in 1929. When the Pere Marquette 18 sank in 1910, he was second mate on the Pere Marquette 17, which helped with the rescue. Other personnel on board on her maiden voyage included...
|W.L. Mercereau||Superintendent of Steamships|
|L.H. Kent||Fleet Engineer|
|Jens Vegang||First Mate|
|Thomas Griffith||Second Mate|
|Bernard Rotta||Third Mate|
|J.B. Conrad||Chief Engineer|
|Henry Akesson||First Assistant Engineer|
|Paul E. Petersen||Second Assistant Engineer|
|Escil Sjoholm||Third Assistant Engineer|
|Art Hayward||Chef's Assistant (a survivor of the sinking of the Pere Marquette 18 in 1910)|
|1929||Built by the Manitowoc Shipbuilding Corporation.|
|1929||Launched in November.|
|April 9, 1930||Maiden voyage. New speed record 3 hours, 7 minutes.|
|1939||Established worlds record, traveling 100,000 miles in one year.|
|Nov. 11, 1940||Beached at Ludington, Armistice Day storm.|
|1941||Hit the breakwall at Ludington. Her holes were stuffed with mattresses until repairs were completed at Manitowoc.|
|November, 1967||Laid up at Ludington.|
|1969||Sold to Norfolk & Western Railway.|
|Dec. 24, 1969||Towed out of Ludington for the last time after being sold to the Norfolk & Western Railway Company to be converted into a river ferry barge.|
Much of this information comes from Sherrill Bahle, whose husband's grandfather was Captain Esten Bahle.
Back to the Carferry Photo Album
Launched: 07/03/97 Refitted: 10/26/97
Copyright © 1997 M. Hanley