Pere Marquette 22
Pere Marquette 22

The PERE MARQUETTE 22 was the second of six ships built to the same design.  Her sisters included the PERE MARQUETTE 21, built in 1924, the ANN ARBOR NO. 7, built in 1925, the GRAND RAPIDS, built in 1926, the MADISON, built in 1927, and the CITY OF MILWAUKEE, built in 1931.

She was launched in July of 1924 and was christened by Muriel Badger, daughter of A.E. Badger.

Call Whistle -- Long-Long-Short-Short
Captain -- Esten Bahle

The PERE MARQUETTE 22 made more passages during 1940 than any other Pere Marquette carferry, making 492 Lake crossings and a total of 4,659 passengers.

The PERE MARQUETTE 22, along with her sister PERE MARQUETTE 21, had several major modifications during her career.  In 1936 her deckhouses were extended aft to the stern.  Passenger staterooms were increased from 12 to 40.  In 1953 she was lengthened by 40 feet and triple expansion engines replaced with Skinner Unaflow, and a tapered stack. "The PERE MARQUETTE 22 was chartered for a "moonlight excursion" out of Manitowoc, Wisconsin.  The company staging the trip was a furniture firm from Two Rivers who found it a good place to "keep cool"."

Ludington Daily News, July 1940

A coal strike in 1971 resulted in the PERE MARQUETTE 22 being laid up, never to sail as a carferry again.  In 1973, the PERE MARQUETTE 22 along with her sister, PERE MARQUETTE 21, to were sold to Construction Aggregates Corp.  She was reduced to a barge.  She was renamed Pegasus and was in service for Panama Dredging Co., working in Jamaica. Her present status is unknown.

PM 22 history

  • July 22, 1924 -- The PERE MARQUETTE  22 was launched in Manitowoc. She was christened by Muriel Badger, daughter of A.E. Badger.  First Master Esten Bayle.
  • September 24, 1924 -- The PERE MARQUETTE 22 arrived Ludington on her maiden voyage.
  • July 3, 1936 -- The PERE MARQUETTE 22 left Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co. after completing $50,000 in reconditioning work.
  • November 27, 1937 -- The PERE MARQUETTE 22 collided with the Wabash in heavy fog.
  • July 7, 1941 -- The PERE MARQUETTE 22 "brushed" the breakwater at 3:30 a.m. upon entering Ludington in foggy weather.
  • October 3, 1941 -- The CITY OF FLINT 32 was heading for Ludington, while the PERE MARQUETTE 22 was heading for Manitowoc.  They collided head-on about 20 miles outside of Ludington, striking a glancing blow on their port bows.  The PERE MARQUETTE 22 went directly to Manitowoc for repairs while the CITY OF FLINT 32 unloaded at Ludington, then steamed for Manitowoc for repairs.

Pere Marquette 22
  • April 16, 1953 -- The PERE MARQUETTE 22 Drydocked for upgrading.

  • September 13, 1953 -- The PERE MARQUETTE 22 made her second maiden voyage since she was new in 1924.  She was cut in half, lengthened, had new boilers and engines installed.
  • February 3, 1963 -- The PERE MARQUETTE 22 became stuck in ice outside Ludington and was trapped for over 21 hours.
  • November 1, 1971 -- The PERE MARQUETTE  22 was laid up due to coal stike.  She never sailed again as a carferry.
  • July 17, 1973 -- The PERE MARQUETTE 22, along with her sister PERE MARQUETTE 21, was sold to Construction Aggregates Corp.
  • November 29, 1973 -- The PERE MARQUETTE 22 left Ludington for the last time under the tow of the tug JOHN PURVES assisted by the KARL E. LEUDKE.

Top of Page